Healthytarian Minutes with holistic teacher Evita Ochel. This episode explains what positive stress (eustress) is, and how it can impact our life, work, health and wellbeing.
Learn effective stress solutions to relieve your stress and anxiety with the MAP Yoga Path online video program.
Most of us equate stress with a negative experience, however stress is not all bad. Stress can actually be very helpful and positive. For example, it can move us away from danger or help us get things done. Positive stress is formally referred to as eustress, as opposed to negative stress, which is known as distress.
You can easily differentiate between these two types, as positive stress typically has the following characteristics:
- It is motivating and helps us use our time and energy effectively.
- It is acute or short-lived.
- It is perceived as something we can manage.
- It feels exciting or inspiring.
- It improves performance and/or productivity within our personal and professional life.
Examples of stressors that can result in positive stress include:
- Receiving a promotion or raise at work.
- Starting a new job, school program, or relationship.
- Making a major purchase.
- Making a big life transition, such as having a child or retiring.
- Taking a vacation or various holiday times.
You can freely enjoy such experiences and the array of feelings they bring, just be sure to stay mindful so that your positive stress does not become draining and turn into distress.
Comments, Questions & Feedback
To share any comments, questions or feedback, please visit the video’s YouTube page.