Healthytarian Minutes with holistic teacher Evita Ochel. This episode shares how to work with portion control to maintain a healthy weight or lose weight.
Learn effective stress solutions to relieve your stress and anxiety with the MAP Yoga Path online video program.
One of the best habits for healthy weight maintenance and weight loss is portion control. Since the mid 1900s, our portions and calories have been on the rise, while our food quality has been on the decline, and our health and weight are suffering for it. When we regularly eat too much for our needs, our body stores the extra energy as fat, regardless if it comes from carbohydrates, fats or protein.
To succeed with healthier portion control, implement the following habits:
- At home, use smaller sizes of dishware and/or fill your plate only half-full.
- Eat until you are about three-quarters full.
- Eat mindfully to be aware of how much you have eaten, and whether you require more food or have had enough.
- Eat based on regular intervals or routines, and when it is time to eat focus on just eating, rather than socializing or watching television, etc.
- Limit eating out, and focus more on homemade meals, which allow you to control the quality and quantity of your food better.
- When dining out, avoid up-sizing or super-sizing your meals.
- Order smaller portions or less food and ask for a container to take half of your meal home.
- Avoid buffets of any kind or all-you-can eat meal options, as it is all too easy to overeat in such cases.
Comments, Questions & Feedback
To share any comments, questions or feedback, please visit the video’s YouTube page.